OpenOffice© is an open source office productivity suite that can be downloaded and installed for free. This suite of applications is comparable to the well-known office suite from Microsoft®, as the two offer similarly powerful applications. Surprisingly, the two are compatible with each other. The OpenOffice software is a typical solution for people who don’t want to pay for more extended applications such as Microsoft Office® Word, Excel®, PowerPoint®, etc. To learn how to download and install this free office suite just follow the steps below.
- Open your Internet browser. Go to the www.openoffice.org web address.
- In the top-right navigation bar, click the “Download” button.
- Click on the “Download OpenOffice.org” button.
- Save the file to any location in your computer.
- Locate the downloaded file and run the installer (double-click the file). If your operating system asks you for confirmation click on the “Run” button.
- In the initial window click on the “Next” button.
- In the next dialog box, you can choose the location where to unpack them, or leave it as the default. Click on the “Unpack” button.
- The next window will start the installation process. Click the “Next” button.
- Fill in the “User’s information” and click the “Next” button, then again on the following page. Now just click the “Install” button.
- When the installation of OpenOffice© is finished, click on the “Finish” button.
Tips and tricks:
- If you want to download a localized version of OpenOffice©, click on the “Languages” link in the “Download” button and choose the version you prefer.
- If you want save your documents so they are compatible with the Microsoft Office® suite, choose the correct format type when saving the document.