Skype® is a comprehensive tool that is easy to use for voice and chat communications over the Internet and even includes a video call feature. The popular application is mainly used for calling other Skype® users over the Internet. Additionally, calls to mobile phones and landlines to both local and international phone numbers can be made for a fee. Skype® users can easily search for another user in the registered users database. If they have a microphone and a sufficient Internet connection, you can call that person with just one click. To install Skype® on a Windows-based PC, follow the instructions below.
- Open your Internet browser, then enter and go to the web address www.skype.com
- On the Skype™ main navigation bar, locate the “Get Skype™” option and roll your mouse over it to find and choose the “Windows” option.
- Click on the blue button “Download Skype®”.
- Save the file to any location in your computer.
- Locate the downloaded file and run the installer by double clicking on the file. If your operating system asks you for confirmation, click on the “Run” button.
- Select the language and then read the “Skype® End User License Agreement” and “Skype® Privacy Statements”. Once that is completed, click on the “I Agree – Install” button.
- On the next window, set your preferences and then click on the “Continue” button.
- When the installation is finished, click on the “Start Skype®” button.
- On the page “Create a new Skype® account”, fill in all the needed information. Click on the “I agree – create account” button. (If you already have an account, click on the “Cancel” button)
- After you have created your account, the application will launch and then you can use it.
Tips and tricks:
- If you have a webcam, install it and Skype® will enable the video calls automatically.
- If you want to make calls to mobile or landline phone numbers, click on the “Call Phones” button in the left pane of the interface to display the numbers.
- To purchase a credit, go to “Skype® > Buy Skype Credit“.
- Do not share your account and password with anyone as it may lead to misuse, for example, making unauthorized paid calls.