If the operating system of your computer is Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you have the possibility of a free upgrade to Windows 10. If you are procrastinating about this option and you are concerned that it is a complex process, from which you do not know what to expect, we have clear instructions on how to process it smoothly.
- Click on the “Windows logo” in the notification taskbar.
- The informative window shows you whether your computer is compatible with Windows 10 or not. If yes, continue to step 3.
- As soon as your system is ready to be upgraded you will receive a notification. Just click on the “OK, continue” button to proceed.
- The upgrade is distributed as an update through Windows Update. If you have not received this update yet, you can get it manually by clicking on the “check for updates” button.
- Once you start the upgrade wizard, it will begin with its initial phase where it checks the readiness of the system.
- If everything is ready, you can start the system upgrade.
Microsoft has prepared a tool with which you can run the upgrade to Windows 10 yourself. Just download and run it. The first step you should choose is whether you want to create a bootable media with Windows 10 or you want to upgrade.
Let’s go and Upgrade
Now, you can go away from your keyboard for at least 15 minutes because the configuration of the update takes some time. After preparation the pc will restart and the actual installation of the upgrade, which is divided into three phases, will start. After all three phases have finished the installation wizard will begin. In the wizard, you should see a SETUP option, which is a little hidden under the link at the bottom left. Microsoft is trying to impose on you the express default settings, which is represented by a large button. Do not click on it. After opening the setup you find out what the system will send to Microsoft for analysis. Do not hesitate to turn off everything you not want to send.
Continue going through the initial settings wizard and set your network connections, applications etc. until the Welcome screen appears. The new, impressive design greets you on the login page of course, the password remains the same.
But it's not over yet. The first run of Windows 10 will take a little while longer whilst it prepares the system.
Congratulations! Windows 10 is here. As you will notice, all of your previously installed programs and shortcuts are still exactly as they were in the previous version. Without any further obstruction you can now continue in your work.