7-Zip is a popular open source file archiver. The application is used to compress files and has almost the same functionality as WinZip® or WinRaR®. People use it to make one compressed file containing more files or one larger file for sharing. You may receive a 7-Zip file by email, instant message or downloading it from the Internet. If you want to open it, you have to have the 7-Zip archiver installed. The instructions below describe where to download 7-Zip, how to install this piece of software and how to open the 7-Zip file.
Downloading, Installing and Using 7-Zip:
- Launch your Internet browser and navigate to the 7-Zip download page.
- Download the installer file according to your operating system version by clicking on the proper “Download” button and save the file on your hard drive.
- Run the downloaded installer file.
- On the first installation wizard page, select the location where you want to install the application and click on the “Install” button.
- When the installation process finishes, click on the “Finish” button.
- Launch the 7-Zip application – 7-Zip File Manager.
- Select the “7z” file you want to open and decompress.
- Click on the “Extract” button on the main navigation bar.
- Specify the location where you want to unpack the content of the 7-Zip file and click on the “OK” button.