• FA ‘very concerned’ regarding Whelan’s comments• Vincent Tan: this is a racist chairman hiring a racist manager• Jewish board rejects Whelan’s ‘half-hearted apology’The Football Association has launched an investigation into the comments Dave Whelan made to the Guardian about Jewish and Chinese people, following his appointment of Malky Mackay as the Wigan Athletic manager. Seeking to expla
• Manchester United manager defends sale of Welbeck• Van Gaal insists United believe in young players• Gary Neville on Welbeck saleLouis van Gaal has admitted that Danny Welbeck was sold to Arsenal despite doubts over the ability of Radamel Falcao, his replacement at Manchester United, to make a full recovery from the serious knee injury he suffered in January.The concerns led United to ta
The captain will be the first to lead out an England women’s side at Wembley when the European champions visit on Sunday• Fara Williams: from being homeless to England recordSteph Houghton feels privileged. On Sunday the England captain will do what many of her predecessors could only dream of, lead her side out for an international match at Wembley. It has been a long time coming and, for all
Saracen is putting on a brave face but his move from No10, to make room for George Ford at Twickenham, is an unnatural one• Ford and Farrell pairing dates back to school days• Samoa gave Lancaster chance to experiment - he didn’t take itIf Manu Tuilagi was fit there would be a completely different mood ahead of England’s Test against Samoa. The talk would have been of physical collisions and
‘It’s just another weekend,’ says Hamilton as he prepares to battle Nico Rosberg for the Formula One titleAbu Dhabi is a place of palaces and pearls, deluxe hotels and gaudy opulence – apart from the desert, that is, the rippling, drifting sands that speak only of desolation.On Sunday evening either Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg will know that feeling. One will be the Formula One champion o
• Hamilton 0.133sec and 0.083sec ahead of Rosberg• Top-two finish in Grand Prix would guarantee Briton the title• Formula One: Last race title deciders – in pictures• Richard Williams: Hamilton v Rosberg nothing newLewis Hamilton topped the first and second practice sessions in Abu Dhabi on Friday, narrowly finishing ahead of his world title challenger and Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg on
• Stan Wawrinka holds his nerve to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga• Roger Federer loses in straights sets to Gaël Monfils• Federer denies any feud with WawrinkaFor those too cold of eye and heart to accept that emotion is a significant part of winning in sport, the first afternoon of the 2014 Davis Cup final gave the lie. It began with Stanislas Wawrinka winning for Switzerland after nearly succumbin
The first three home in last year’s Betfair Chase – Cue Card, Dynaste and Silviniaco Conti – renew their rivalry at HaydockThe first three horses home in last year’s Betfair Chase – Cue Card, Dynaste and Silviniaco Conti – renew their rivalry and, while the excellent form of the Philip Hobbs yard means that Menorah cannot be dismissed lightly, it is hard to see beyond last year’s principals i
• Newcastle 20-10 GloucesterRory Clegg kicked 15 points as Newcastle claimed a convincing Premiership victory over Gloucester at a wet and windy Kingston Park.Clegg overcame a difficult start, when he allowed Gloucester in for an easy try in the opening minute, to find the target with five penalties while Sinoti Sinoti crossed for a try for Newcastle. Continue reading...
• Harlequins 12-16 SaleSale recorded their first Premiership win at The Stoop since May 2008 as Danny Cipriani kicked his team to a 16-12 victory against Harlequins.The England hopeful claimed 11 points with the boot, while the Sale captain Dan Braid’s late try proved the turning point in the game. Continue reading...
*Vikings running back apologises: ‘I regret the situation’*Peterson, 29, appeals against suspension by the league*Peterson suspended without pay for rest of seasonAdrian Peterson, the star NFL running back who last week was suspended for the rest of the season, has said he will never again use a switch to discipline any of his children. Speaking to USA Today, Peterson said: “I won’t e
Is that a smile on the face of Kiama Bay as he takes a tumble during the Betfair Novices' Hurdle at Haydock. You can be sure that Jason Maguire didn't have a smile on his face as they were about 12 lengths clear when they fell at the last Continue reading...
Whatever the final outcome in Sochi the Indian challenger has enhanced his reputation against the 1-4 favouriteMagnus Carlsen ground his way to a narrow 5.5-4.5 lead over the challenger, Vishy Anand, with two games to go in their world title rematch at Sochi but the Norwegian, 23, has made heavy weather of a series for which he was a pre-match 1-4 favourite.Thursday’s game nine, Carlsen’s pe
The drivers have had an increasingly stormy relationship. Here is a guide to who said what, when and why“There’s not much to say about our relationship at the moment” – 25 May 2014, after the Monaco Grand Prix. Continue reading...
• Sandown race the next step for impressive winner• Puffin Billy enters Cheltenham Festival bettingThe immense grandstand is the same and so too the view across to Swinley Bottom but in many others respects Ascot in the jumping season could be an entirely different course from the one that packs in more than a quarter of a million spectators for the Royal meeting in June.It takes dedication
Head coach says All Blacks have learned from embarrassing World Cup defeat by France in Cardiff seven years agoIt was the worst of times but it inspired the best of times. When New Zealand lost to France in the quarter-finals of the World Cup at the Millennium Stadium in 2007 and made their earliest exit from the tournament, a country slumped into stunned disbelief. “We were a bunch of boof-hea
The Paul Nicholls-trained Silviniaco Conti can land the Betfair Chase at HaydockAscot12.25 Fletchers Flyer 1.00 Minella On Line 1.30 Dark Spirit 2.05 Al Ferof 2.40 Faugheen 3.15 Oscar Hill 3.50 No No Manolito Continue reading...
• Rory McIlroy two shots behind defending champion• Shane Lowry records hole in one and wins hotel stay• Henrik Stenson wins 2013 World Tour ChampionshipRory McIlroy has no problem establishing the main threat to his plan of ending a wonderful year on yet another high. And with good reason.Twelve months ago, Henrik Stenson cantered to a six-shot victory at the DP World Tour Championship. T
Olympic mascots from previous games arrive in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday ahead of the unveiling of the 2016 Olympic Games mascots. Characters attending Thursday's meeting included London 2012's Wenlock and Mandevil, Beijing 2008'd Fu Niu Lele, Athena from the 2004 games in Athens and Mishka, the Russian bear, from the Moscow games in 1980 Continue reading...
Five men who provide essential and experienced back-up to the title-chasing pair at MercedesMercedes’ operational front man, filling the large boots of the former team principal Ross Brawn, whose vast contribution to this season’s double championship is too easily forgotten. The Austrian was a talented amateur driver, but he has enjoyed more success in business. He became executive director of
Joe Schmidt’s attention to detail is paying dividends and after beating South Africa Ireland have Australia in their sightsThe only surprise in the buildup to Saturday’s afternoon’s match between Ireland and Australia at the Aviva Stadium has been on the political front. Why, some people are asking, has the Irish government never called on Joe Schmidt to work his magic on the massed ranks of th
The rematch of the British cruiserweights promises fireworks but with a world title shot at stake everything is on the line• Video: Tony Bellew v Nathan Cleverly, the weigh-inThere is something deeply uncomfortable about the bitterness Tony Bellew has been directing towards Nathan Cleverly, a conversation that will be brought to some sort of violent conclusion when these excellent British crui
As a former professional cyclist and a vice president of the UCI, Gaudry can change women’s cycling for the better. How is she using that influence and will the future be brighter for the sport?Tracey Gaudry has been there and done it all. She is a multiple national champion who has ranked third in the world, won World Cups, the Tour de Snowy and the Trophée d’Or Feminin, where her name is wr
• Ben Youngs: ‘I didn’t know how to get out of that rut’• Leicester captaincy has helped motivate scrum-half• England pin hopes on 21-year-old George FordSo much attention is being focused on George Ford many are forgetting what a significant weekend this is for Ben Youngs. It is 21 months, remarkably, since the scrum-half started a Test at Twickenham, his career having fluctuated madly from
• Evans had been using club facilities following prison release• ‘I’m upset that we are not able to do what we wanted to do’• Club retract training offer following public outcrySheffield United co-chairman Jim Phipps is “angry and upset” that the club have been forced to retract their offer to allow convicted rapist Ched Evans to train with the Blades.The League One club were asked by the
Just when England have carte blanche to attack and entertain, the head coach bewilderingly turns into a pragmatistIam confused. Just when England and Stuart Lancaster have carte blanche to attack, excite and show what’s really possible, they field their least offensive, most defensive, best-kicking starting XV. The head coach who has just been given another six years in charge, and presumably w
Merecedes’ reliabilty has increased the chance of both their drivers aiming to be crowned world champion after the Abu Dhabi Grand PrixFrom Cain and Abel via Hamlet and Claudius and Michael and Fredo Corleone to the Milibands, fratricide always pulls a crowd. And in Formula One there is nothing as exhilarating, and at times as blood-freezing, as a battle between team-mates with identical machin
Sources close to Barcelona football star say he feels he is being singled out by having to stand trial over undeclared incomeLionel Messi, hailed by many as the greatest footballer of all time, may leave Spain after continuing to fall foul of the tax authorities, sources have said.The player, who earlier this year agreed a new €50m (£40m) salary with Barcelona, has complained that he is bein
• Australia win by three wickets to clinch ODI series 3-1• Smith’s 104 is catalyst for Australia’s comeback victorySteve Smith struck a superb century as Australia fought back from the brink to beat South Africa by three wickets in Melbourne and in the process secure the ODI series 3-1.South Africa had looked well on course to set up a winner-takes-all decider in Sydney this weekend when, a
Prior to Lewis Hamilton’s Formula One title showdown with Nico Rosberg in Abu Dhabi on Sunday, we take a look back at eight occasions when the championship went down to the wire Continue reading...