Click here to have the Fiver sent to your inbox every weekday at 5pm, or if your usual copy has stopped arrivingSo here we are again, again. Chelsea versus Liverpool in the semi-final of a cup. For some time now, this has been a nightmare from which The Fiver has been trying to wake. And, like everything else The Fiver tries, it is failing worse than a bodybuilder trying to count how many day
*Latest transfer updates as the window enters its final few days*Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or tweet @alansmith90*United reject Januzaj approach from PSG*The rumour mill: Sterling to Chelsea? | Pogba to United? 3.05pm GMT Hi Alan, Why is there not much buzz from Swansea? They just ranked 29th on the Football Rich list and have 28 million from Bony’s sale and as far as I am
England games to be shown on broadcaster’s main channel with ITV4 showing other matches, including Scotland’sITV will show highlights of all of England’s games in the cricket World Cup which begins next month.Media regulator Ofcom said on Tuesday that England’s games, including the fixture against Scotland, will be shown on the main channel as well as the semi-final and final – but only if
• Game on 29 May to be played at new Broadhurst Park stadium• ‘It is a great honour for Benfica to be present with their B team’• Read Daniel Taylor on Manchester’s other UnitedFan-owned FC United have announced they will host Portuguese giants Benfica at their new Broadhurst Park stadium to mark the Manchester club’s 10-year anniversary.The non-league club, who were founded in 2005 in res
• All four teams in Africa Cup of Nations Group D have identical records• Manchester City face Chelsea on Saturday in top-of-the-table clash• Match report: Ivory Coast 1-1 MaliManchester City’s hopes of having Yaya Touré back for Saturday evening’s title showdown with Chelsea could depend on the lottery of a drawing of lots should Ivory Coast finish level on points in their Africa Cup of Nati
• Veteran striker joins on two-and-a-half year deal • Roberto Martínez thanks him for his contributionSamuel Eto’o has completed his protracted move from Everton to the Serie A side Sampdoria.The veteran striker, a four-time African Footballer of the Year and Champions League winner with Barcelona and Internazionale, has joined on a two-and-a-half year deal with the Genoese club. Continue
Isn’t it time creative types and sports stars did more to tackle climate change? Our expert panel suggest howDon’t underestimate the power of an image: We worked with a community to develop a photo-story of their understanding of how climate change affects them. Most of these folks had never been to school, but the images they took tell their story and how much debate they elicited in their p
• Knee injury to fly-half adds to Lancaster’s woes• Door could open for Danny Cipriani on the bench• Robert Kitson: Farrell injury raises Cipriani questionEngland fly-half Owen Farrell has been ruled out of the entire Six Nations campaign after suffering knee ligament damage.The No10 suffered the injury during Saracens’ 18-6 defeat by Clermont on Sunday and had to leave the ground on cru
Andy Murray and Nick Kyrgios give their reactions after the British No1 beat the home hope in the fourth round of the Australian Open on Tuesday. Murray says he is happy to have reached the semi-finals and hopes he can make the most of the opportunity. He also comments on Rafael Nadal's loss to Tomas Berdych. Kyrgios says he is proud to have reached the quarter-finals of his home tournament Contin
• Murray’s former back-up man now coaching semi-final opponent• Scot one win away from a fourth Australian Open final• Murray defeats Australia’s Nick Kyrgios in straight sets• Berdych does the same to Rafael Nadal in first win over SpaniardAndy Murray is one win away from reaching his fourth Australian Open final but to get there he has to negotiate not only Tomas Berdych in their semi-fi
Kaymer’s recent failure to close-out a win from a commanding lead at the HSBC Abu Dhabi Golf Championship is a lesson from which he insists he will learn and the German is confident of his form going into this week’s Dubai Desert Classic• Kaymer on course for win in Abu Dhabi• Kaymer’s collapse leads to Gary Stal victory• Rory McIlroy comes back from Masters defeat to win US OpenWhen analysi
Best XIs this week from La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1, plus analysis that shows the downside of winning FA Cup tiesBy Alistair Tweedale for WhoScored?, part of the Guardian Sport Network“I think the word football ‘disgrace’ is a good word for what happened to us.”. After Chelsea’s capitulation to Bradford City on Saturday afternoon, José Mourinho lambasted his team’s display. They had just be
• Ayrshire venue will host next year’s Open Championship• Royal Troon follows precedent set by Royal and Ancient Club• Ewan Murray: R&A dragged into 21st century by yes vote for womenRoyal Troon Golf Club has taken a meaningful step towards finally admitting female members, thereby avoiding a wave of negative publicity at next year’s Open Championship, by announcing a “comprehensive review” o
• Deal would enable former striker to continue BBC role• BT won rights from Sky Sports and ITV in £897m deal• Lineker has presented Match of the Day since 1999BT Sport has stepped up attempts to sign Gary Lineker to front its live Champions League coverage next season on a deal that would enable him to continue presenting Match of the Day for the BBC.The former England captain is contracte
Answer a simple question and you could be off to the Stadium of Light to watch live Barclays Premier League football Continue reading...
• President of Ghana’s FA among those to back 78-year-old• ‘Africa is solidly behind Blatter,’ says Kwesi Nyantakyi• Van Praag emerges as new rival to Blatter for Fifa presidencyAfrican countries will vote overwhelmingly for Sepp Blatter in this year’s Fifa presidential election, senior officials said on Tuesday.“Africa is solidly behind Blatter. You will find he is very popular on the con
• Abbott wins Bradman Young Cricketer of the Year award in Australia• Bowler thanks family and cricket community for their support • Abbott tipped for big things after Sixers crush Renegades in Big BashSean Abbott, the bowler who was unwittingly at the centre of the tragic death of Phillip Hughes, was on Tuesday named Australia Young Cricketer of the Year.The 22-year-old New South Wales al
Champion trainer Paul Nicholls believes Zarkandar remains his chief hope of success in the World HurdleTony Paley: Champion trainer Paul Nicholls believes Zarkandar remains his chief hope of success in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival and thinks the bookmakers are wrong to have his runner longer odds than Saphir Du Rheu. Continue reading...
Sir Bobby Robson’s former No2, who will be in charge at St James’ Park for the rest of the season, must shake off the shadow of Alan PardewJohn Carver organised a football match between Newcastle United’s backroom staff and north-east-based journalists last Friday.The game – won 6-0 by the interim manager’s support team – may appear to be an inconsequential event but, in the context of life
• Captain and Cricket Australia believed to be in dispute over his fitness • Clarke struggling to be ready in time for next month’s tournament• Mike Selvey on the rise of Australia’s new leader Steve SmithAustralia’s attempt to win next month’s World Cup and, potentially, the forthcoming Ashes in England, appears to be being threatened by a bitter, behind-the-scenes fallout between Michael Cl
Featuring a volley from Belgium, an overhead kick from Australia, a chip from Italy, a back-heel from Scotland, a curler from France and a silky finish from SpainSilvan Widmer (Empoli v UDINESE)Hakim El Mokeddem (FRANCE U16 v Turkey U16)Damien Da Silva (Rennes v CAEN)Jonathan Pereira (RCD Mallorca v REAL VALLADOLID) Continue reading...
• All-rounder ‘visibly shaken’ by a ‘supernatural something’• Christchurch hotel’s management says it knows of ‘no active ghost’• The Joy of Six: sports ghost storiesPakistan’s team management has said the all-rounder Haris Sohail was left visibly shaken after a ghostly encounter in a Christchurch hotel room.Sohail fled what he believed was a supernatural presence which shook his bed at th
*Australia 2-0 United Arab Emirates*Early goals to Trent Sainsbury and Jason Davidson settle match*Socceroos to play South Korea in Saturday’s final in SydneyAfter their heroic and improbable win over Japan, it was always a question of which UAE side was going to show up in the Hunter. Would they be buoyed, ready to continue their fairytale run? Or would the exertions over a grueling 120
Rafael Nadal, the world no3, says he lacked the right intensity and confidence to win against Tomas Berdych in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open. Nadal says he made it easy for Berdych to win the match but says he lacked his usual rhythm due to his recovery from appendicitis and a wrist injury several months ago Continue reading...
Maria Sharapova says she is happy with her 6-3, 6-2 victory against Canadian Eugenie Bouchard in Melbourne in the quarter-final of the Australian Open. Sharapova says a heated discussion with her father made her improve her performance after her second-round match. She also looks ahead to her next match against Ekaterina Makarova. Bouchard says she is disappointed to have lost Continue reading...
Today’s tattle is sorry to announce that due to signal failure …• Follow our live transfer window blog for all the latest newsAaaaaaarrrgggghhhh! The Mill’s dog ate its alarm clock, then the Mill’s dog fell on the train tracks*, caused signal failure, all after hiding the Mill’s keys down the back of the sofa – the rascal. Fear not however, for rushing is no longer en vogue among the modern da
*Australia 2-0 United Arab Emirates*First-half goals to Trent Sainsbury and Jason Davidson seal victory 10.04pm AEST Australia are in the final and that’s the important thing. They’ll get a chance to win, on home soil, their first Asian Cup but to do so they will have to find a way through South Korea’s staunch defence. I think it’s fair to say they’ll need to lift from tonight’s perf
From Malaysia and South Africa to Namibia and Norway via Brazil and Armenia, the 41-year-old former goalkeeper is the only person to have played professionally in every Fifa confederationThere are journeymen and there are journeymen. And then there is Lutz Pfannenstiel, a 41-year-old former goalkeeper who puts every other multi-club footballer to shame. From Malaysia and South Africa to Namibia
Australia’s captain has blossomed as a batsman and shot up the Test batting rankings – and is a lesson in how an unconventional technique should sometimes be left well aloneWe have to thank the late Bob Monkhouse for one of the finest, funniest of all quips. “They laughed at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian,” he reminisced. “Well they’re not laughing now.” And how we chuckled at young S
• Briton dominates home favourite to win 6-3, 7-6, 6-3• Tomas Berdych next hurdle in the last four• Andy Murray v Nick Kyrgios: as it happened• Rafael Nadal knocked out by Tomas Berdych• Maria Sharapova too good for Eugenie BouchardAndy Murray, playing the sort of disciplined tennis he refined under Ivan Lendl and has slowly rediscovered with Amélie Mauresmo, turned back the passionate chal