*Read our over-by-over report from Punjab*Email email@example.com with any thoughts*Or you can tweet him @DanielHarris*Royal Challengers Bangalore hand Delhi Daredevils a thrashing*Get all the latest on our dedicated IPL page 3.41pm BST 2nd over: Hyderabad 10-1 (Warner 9, Vihari 0) Interesting move from Hyderabad to throw Vihari in so early.. An anoynmous emailer wri
• Cavendish edges out Modolo to hold on to turquoise jersey• ‘I knew yesterday before I even won that I was feeling good,’ says Cavendish• Cavendish starts Tour of Turkey with sprint win in AlanyaMark Cavendish claimed his second successive stage victory at the Tour of Turkey to remain the overall leader after a sprint finish in Antalya.The Etixx-Quick-Step rider, who also sprinted to vict
*Talking points from around the grounds: the week’s final over*Guardian cricket event tonight: Comedy! Songs! Special guests! 3.21pm BST Richard Gibson reportsA player with the career longevity of Tim Bresnan should probably have more five-wicket hauls than the seven he has managed in first-class cricket. The seventh came up shortly after lunch on day two when Jeetan Patel’s cameo cam
The Cavaliers will advance to the next round of the playoffs after defeating the Celtics in a very physical – and potentially very costly – Game 4The Cleveland Cavaliers advanced to Eastern Conference semi-finals after defeating the Boston Celtics, 101-93, in yesterday’s Game 4 of their first-round series. But while LeBron’s bunch easily swept their overmatched opponents, they may have suffer
Sir Oliver Popplewell, who presided over the Bradford fire inquiry, speaks at length to the Guardian’s chief football correspondent about revelations in survivor Martin Fletcher’s book and why he sees no need for a fresh investigation• Sir Oliver Popplewell says new inquiry would find nothing sinister• Suggestion that Bradford fire was arson is nonsense – Popplewell’s letterMartin Fletcher’s
• Former judge defends 1985 inquiry after questions about way it was conducted• ‘We had all the evidence that was available. Except these previous fires’• Sir Oliver Popplewell defends 1985 inquiry – interview with Daniel Taylor• Suggestion that Bradford fire was arson is nonsense – Popplewell’s letter • Former Bradford chairman linked to at least eight fires before disaster• Labour’s Andy Bu
Regardless of which side produced the paper bomb, violent fan behaviour is a deep-rooted problem in Serie A and what should be in our memories is Torino’s jubilance at beating Juventus, not shattered glass and the flash of explosives• Juve’s Max Allegri: ‘only a madman would take kids to stadiums in Italy’• Lazio’s eagle mascot attacked by a crow before kick-off• Juventus slip as Torino end 20-
• Red Devils without 12 players against Castleford and problems have worsened• Salford Red Devils 20-22 Castleford TigersInjury-ravaged Salford have taken the unprecedented step of asking second-bottom Hull FC to postpone Friday’s Super League match at the KC Stadium.The Red Devils were without 12 first-team players, including the suspended quartet Rangi Chase, Weller Hauraki, Cory Paterson
• ‘Klopp is definitely an option at Bayern,’ says Beckenbauer• ‘We often talked about him and believe he would fit very well’• Bayern want to extend Guardiola’s contract• Klopp to leave Dortmund at end of season• Bayern win Bundesliga as Wolfsburg loseFranz Beckenbauer has said Jürgen Klopp could succeed Pep Guardiola as the coach of Bayern Munich.The club’s former defender and honorary
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says forward Daniel Sturridge may not play for the remainder of the football season due to injury. Rodgers also looks ahead to Liverpool's match against Hull City at the KC Stadium on Tuesday and comments on the potential for fans to boycott the game due to ticket prices Continue reading...
MotoGP world champion has not started the season well but his duel with the Italian veteran has the ingredients to become one of motorcycling’s great battles• British trio aim to close gap on MotoGP maestro MárquezEven on a sleepy morning in Cardedeu, a village near Barcelona, Marc Márquez is on a roll. The MotoGP world champion and Valentino Rossi, his former idol turned rival, are set for on
*Jones wanted by Albuquerque police in connection with hit-and-run*The 27-year-old was still at large as of Monday morning, officials said*UFC light heavyweight champ is scheduled to defend title on 23 MayJon Jones, the UFC light heavyweight champion widely regarded as the No1 pound-for-pound fighter in mixed martial arts, is wanted for questioning by Albuquerque police in relation to a h
• ‘For Cesc Fàbregas not to be there is a bit strange,’ says Mourinho• Oscar out of hospital and could be fit to play at Leicester• Eden Hazard ‘happy’ to be named PFA Player of the Year • John Terry: ‘tippy-tappy football will not win league’• José Mourinho on Arsenal: ‘10 years without a title is boring’José Mourinho has suggested the Professional Footballers’ Association team of the seas
• United have lost successive games for first time under Louis van Gaal• ‘Right from the first minute we were off the pace,’ says Smalling• Match report: Everton 3-0 Manchester United• Van Gaal slams Manchester United for complacency at Everton• Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s actionChris Smalling hopes Manchester United’s 3-0 defeat to Everton will serve as a “massive
• Belgian defender signed from Arsenal for £15m• Centre-half yet to make competitive debutBarcelona enjoyed an encouraging weekend when they maintained their three-point lead over Real Madrid by beating Espanyol 2-0 and they received a further boost to their morale when their Belgian defender Thomas Vermaelen was finally declared fit, eight months after joining the club from Arsenal.The cen
English Bridge Union seeks to overturn Sport England’s refusal to recognise the card game as a legitimate sportBridge, the genteel and physically unchallenging card game played by millions, may exercise the brain muscle, but is it a sport? Continue reading...
• Thompson threw spiked pole at John McGinn, causing severe bleeding• ‘It wasn’t like I threw the pole out of anger or anything,’ says ThompsonSt Mirren’s captain Steven Thompson admits he was mortified after a foolish prank during a training session left a team-mate with a gaping wound.Thompson threw a spiked pole at the 20-year-old John McGinn after he robbed him of the ball and it struck
The sun catches the No Name Boys or Иo Иame Boys as they bask in the light and flare smoke during Benfica against Porto on Sunday. The group was formed in 1992 and gather in the south corner of the Estádio da Luz, known as Topo Sul. Created after disagreements in another Benfica’s supporters group, Diabos Vermelhos, the group attempted to call themselves ‘The Diabos Vermelhos’ but found that nam
Chelsea's Belgium forward Eden Hazard reacts after winning England's Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) player of the year award in front of Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Kane and Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea on Sunday. England striker Harry Kane was voted young player of the year Continue reading...
• Liverpool manager has suggested he may sign new striker• Liverpool and England striker forward out with hip injury• Rodgers casts doubt on Sturridge’s futureBrendan Rodgers has said Daniel Sturridge may not play again this season. The Liverpool striker has suffered an injury-plagued season and has appeared in only 18 of Liverpool’s 53 matches.He missed Saturday’s 0-0 draw at West Bromw
• Williams paid staff £2m in bonus despite loss• Figures misleading as it does not represent recent upturn in fortunes• Symonds: Williams are close to Mercedes but no win in 2014 ranklesThe Williams Formula One team has reported a loss of £42.5m for 2014 but they still paid their staff a £2m bonus for finishing third in the constructors’ championship.That compares with a profit of £11.9m i
• Omens prove mixed as Rome side draw with Chievo• ‘Only a madman would take kids to stadiums in Italy’The Romans were notorious for searching for omens before battle so followers of Lazio may have been dismayed by the events that unfolded before their match against Chievo at the weekend.Lazio’s mascot, an eagle named Olimpia, was attacked by a crow as it few over the Olympic stadium before
The pair who are the sport’s biggest draw since Mike Tyson are preparing to collide in Las Vegas, and the feeling is growing that it will not disappoint• Mayweather v Pacquiao sells out in under a minute• Storm grows over Mayweather’s violent pastThere is more at stake here on Saturday night than the unification of three versions of the world welterweight title. The immediate future of boxing
Six talking points from the County Championship as Sussex find a hero in Ajmal Shahzad, Yorkshire miss Adil Rashid and Warwickshire prioritise experience By Gary Naylor for the 99.94 Cricket Blog, part of the Guardian Sport NetworkSussex registered their second win from two matches to go top of Division One (which means little at this stage of the season but it’s definitely better than bei
It’s rare for a team to lose in the Stanley Cup finals and make it back the next year, but the surging New York Rangers seem poised to break the trendAs the puck softly caressed the net, blue-shirted players piled on top of one another, lost in a moment of celebration. But it was just that – a moment, to pass all too soon.On Friday, the New York Rangers defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 2-1
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says his team lacked motivation against Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday. Manchester United lost the match 3-0 and Van Gaal says the reasons behind the lacklustre performance were hard to identify, although he adds that team's warm-up was not as good as usual. The manager says he hopes the poor performance will not be repeated Continue reading...
Leading jockey Jason Maguire faces an operation on Monday which will determine if he can continue his racing careerTony Paley: Leading jockey Jason Maguire faces an operation on Monday which will determine if he can continue his racing career. Continue reading...
Is die-hard Mets fan Chris Rock right about baseball no longer appealing to black people and the youth of America?Chris Rock got attention this week for his monologue on HBO’s Real Sports on why baseball no longer appeals to black people and the youth. Rock makes a lot of good if not original points in his seven-minute rant. Baseball’s glacial pace and stodgy, unwritten ‘code’ – which frowns
• Coach speaks out after Turin derby was marred by crowd trouble• ‘Unfortunately in Italy we are still behind,’ says Allegri• Match report: Torino 2-1 JuventusThe Juventus manager, Max Allegri, has claimed that ‘only a madman’ would take their kids to a football stadium in Italy after their Turin derby defeat over the weekend was blighted by yet more crowd trouble.Before Torino’s 2-1 victo
• Terry hits back at boring jibes aimed at Chelsea• Captain points to club’s early-season goalscoring form• Match report: Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea• Mourinho rejects criticism after Chelsea hold off ArsenalJohn Terry has pointed to Chelsea’s resilience and ability to dig deeper than those among the chasing pack as key to the team’s imminent title success this season, arguing neat and tidy possessi